Back       Next

   In 1899 Milton Church was remodeled and space excavated under the northwest corner of the building so that a furnace could be installed. The pulpit was moved and a Sunday school room added. At a meeting in 1900, it was noted in the Jan 3rd edition of the Western Christian Advocate, that Milton Church gained one hundred new members. 
    Franklin also grew. In 1896 the congregation began having an ice cream social to promote community fellowship. These socials continued for over 100 years. In 1906 the frame building was moved to an adjoining farm and used as part of a barn and the present building was constructed with much of the materials donated by the members.

   Milton and Franklin became part of a four-part charge along with Adario and Olivesburg in 1928 and preaching was done every other Sunday. In 1939 Adario left the charge. The Milton church changed its name to Pavonia Methodist because of the merger of the Methodist Episcopal and the Methodist Protestant Churches.

   By 1942 it was decided to build a basement under Pavonia church and a group of men began the task of excavating many layers of sandstone to make room for the social room, kitchen and three classrooms. Rev. Floyd Eckert and his wife formed the first Methodist Youth Fellowship known as the MYF. One of their projects was collecting canned goods for children’s and Old Folks’ homes. The Epworth guild at Franklin was also very active with community projects. Franklin built a parsonage in 1955 and became an independent charge.

   In 1961 Franklin added eight classrooms because of increased attendance and Pavonia also added an educational unit that included the now enlarged social room, one new classroom and two restrooms.